Switzerland vs France – Group A – 8pm (BBC) – 18.06.16 – Stade Pierre Mauroy, LilleFrance have left it late to secure victory in each of their two games so far, but a win is a win is a win.
Antoine Griezmann and then man-of-the-moment Dimitri Payet both netted in injury time to beat Albania 2-0 and send the host country through to the round of 16.
That win means Saturday”s result is relatively unimportant to Les Blues as even a draw will see them through as group winners.
But Switzerland only sit two points behind France and, with Group B still undecided, they would naturally rather qualify as group leaders and avoid the winners of that group.
La Nati will be mindful that a loss could see Romania leapfrog them into second and, as a match between next door neighbours, both sides will be fired up for the win.
Recommendation: France to win and both teams to score at 5.00
Olivier Giroud to score a header at 7.50[/column]
- This will be the 38th meeting between these sides; France have won 16 of the previous 37, with Switzerland winning 12
- Switzerland’s last victory against France was in May 1992 (2-1 in Lausanne). Since then, they have failed to win any of their six games against their neighbours
- This is the third time France have opened up a EURO with two wins, after 1984 and 2000. They lifted the trophy on the two previous occasions.
- France haven’t had a single shot on target so far before half-time at EURO 2016.
- Nine of France’s last 10 goals at the EURO have been scored after half-time. At EURO 2016, three of their four goals have come from the 89th minute onwards.
- Switzerland have never made it to the knockout stages of the European Championships.