Romania vs Albania – Group A – 8pm (BBC) – 18.06.16 – Parc de Princes, ParisRomania have found it tough going in Group A so far.
They are yet to be completely outplayed, but their perseverance is yet to translate into anything more than a solitary point.
They conceded a late goal to lose 2-1 to France in their opener and, despite taking the lead against Switzerland, their resolve was eventually broken down allowing Admir Mehmedi to equalise with half an hour left to play.
The result leaves them within touching distance of the Swiss, who will be playing group leaders France while this game goes on.
A win for Romania and a loss for Switzerland will see the unlikely candidates join France in the next round.
But both of Romania’s goals have come from penalties and they will have to start creating chances from open play if they are to get a result and possibly qualify for the round of 16.
If Romania have found it tough going, spare a thought for Albania.
Shqiponjat have already been knocked out and failed to score in either of their games.
But they hold the cards for Romania’s qualification from Group A and could potentially cause an upset if they feel like it.
Personally, I can’t see Albania turning it on, but I also worry about Romania’s inability to create chances.
Recommendation: Romania to win and under 2.5 goals at 4.20
Bogdan Stancu to score and Romania to win at 5.00[/column]
- Romania are unbeaten in their last 13 games against Albania (W10 D3). Albania’s last win was in May 1948 (1-0 in Bucharest).
- Albania have never scored more than one goal in their 16 games against Romania.
- None of the last three games between Romania and Albania has produced more than two goals.
- Romania have also kept only one clean sheet in their 15 games at the European Championships
- Albania have only had two shots on target over their first two games at this year’s tournament, both in their opener against Switzerland.
- Only Turkey have failed to score in their first ever three games at the Euros
- Romania’s last goal from open play at the EURO was scored by Dorinel Munteanu against England in June 2000.