Portugal vs Austria – Group F – 8pm (BBC) – 18.06.16 – Parc de Princes, ParisCristiano Ronaldo blasted Iceland for celebrating their 1-1 draw ‘like they had won the European Championship’, claiming that they have a ‘small mentality’.
These comments serve to prove, however, that the only mentality that needs looking at is Cristiano’s.
The Real Madrid superstar was largely anonymous throughout the game and he cannot afford to go missing again when his side faces Austria on Saturday.
But it was the entire Austrian team that seemed to vanish after stepping on to the field against Hungary.
David Alaba nearly scored the fastest Euros goal in history when he struck the post after 28 seconds, but that was the only moment Austria were able to write home about.
Hungary went on to win 2-0 leaving Portugal and Austria – originally group favourites – sitting third and fourth in the group.
A loss for Austria knocks them out regardless of the result in the other game, while a draw leaves them needing a win against a beefed-up Iceland looking to stamp their mark on their first ever major tournament.
Austria have the team, while Portugal have the individuals. Expect goals in a crucial game that both sides have to win, but it’s almost impossible to say who will.
Recommendation: Both teams to score at 2.10
Cristiano Ronaldo to score from outside the box at 6.50[/column]
- Portugal are currently unbeaten in four matches against Austria (W1 D3). Their last meeting was back in October 1995 (1-1, Euro qualifier), whilst Austria’s last victory was in November 1979
- Three of the last four meetings between these sides have ended in a 1-1 draw (1-0 Portugal in 1994); neither team has managed to score more than once during this time.
- Portugal and Austria are playing each other in the finals of a major tournament for the very first time.
- Austria come into this game having lost three of their last four matches
- Portugal have only claimed one victory in their last five games (D3 L1) played at major tournaments
- Austria have gone 13 games without a clean sheet at a major tournament, last keeping one against Algeria at the 1982 World Cup.
- None of Austria’s last 28 shots at the European Championships have found the back of the net.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has now had 34 direct free-kick shots in major tournaments for Portugal; he hasn’t scored with any of them.