Northern Ireland vs Germany – Group C – 5pm (BBC) – 21.06.16 – Parc de Princes, Paris
While qualification from Group C for Northern Ireland is achievable, it certainly won’t be easy.
They currently sit third, three points clear of knocked-out Ukraine and a point behind Germany and Poland who lie in first and second respectively, separated by goal difference.
Qualification for Northern Ireland would require them to overcome the monumental task of beating the current world champions Germany: a side whose own progression to the Round of 16 is still not yet mathematically guaranteed.
And with Poland facing a battered and bruised Ukraine side, one qualification spot looks all but taken.
This tournament has thrown up some surprises already, but even Northern Ireland could find this challenge too big to take on.
Germany’s style of play has seen them win games without ever needing to leave first gear and I can’t where Northern Ireland’s chances will come from.
Recommendation: Germany win to nil at 1.72
Kyle Lafferty to score anytime at 7.00
Thomas Muller to score and Germany to win now 2.50
- These two nations have met 14 times previously, with Germany winning eight to Northern Ireland’s two (D4)
- Germany have won the last four meetings between the sides, scoring 14 goals and conceding just two in that run
- Seven of Northern Ireland’s last 10 goals in competitive games have come from set-pieces
- Northern Ireland have never conceded more than one goal in their last 15 internationals.
- The last time Germany failed to make it out of the group stages of a major tournament was at EURO 2004. Since then, they’ve made the last four at every single major competition.
- Germany have won 12 of their last 15 games at major tournaments, drawing two and losing one
- Thomas Müller hasn’t scored or assisted a single goal in seven games at the EURO (he’s only had one shot on target in 180 minutes at EURO 2016)