Czech Republic vs Turkey- Group D – 8pm (ITV) – 21.06.16 – Stade Felix Bollaert-Delelis, LensTurkey will want to forget Euro 2016 in a hurry.
Tipped to upset the odds in a difficult group before the tournament started, Fatih Terim’s men have been eliminated after only mustering up zero goals from 17 shots in two games, with just two of these on target.
Turkey’s poster-boy Arda Turan appeared on national television to apologise for his side’s 1-0 loss to Croatia, while the Barcelona man was in tears as he was booed off the pitch after another anonymous performance in their 3-0 loss to Spain.
Czech Republic, however, have been counting their lucky stars following a Great Escape from elimination against Croatia.
2-0 down, being comprehensively outplayed and staring an early exit from the competition in the face, Milan Skoda pulled one back for the Czechs with 15 minutes left on the clock.
Flares thrown on to the pitch by Croatian fans meant that referee Mark Clattenburg was forced to temporarily suspend the game.
And in the five minutes of injury time that followed, Croatia’s Domagoj Vida handled the ball in the area, allowing Tomas Necid to convert the resulting penalty and snatch an unlikely – and undeserved- point.
That priceless point not only kept them in the competition, but also leaves them within catching distance of Croatia.
Three points and two goals separate the two side, meaning a win for both Spain and the Czechs would potentially see Pavel Vrba’s men through to the next round.
Facing off against a downtrodden Turkey, with rumours of team spats floating around the Turkish camp, leaves Nároďák well placed to get the win required.
Qualification is not entirely in the Czech’s hands however, and anything other than a win for Spain will see them exit the competition.
Recommendation: Czech Republic win and under 2.5 goals at 4.33
Tomas Necid to score first and Czech Republic to win at 10.00
Czech Republic to win and both teams to score now 6.00
- This will be the 20th meeting between the sides; Czech Republic (including Czechoslovakia) won 12 of the previous 19 while Turkey won four
- Czech Republic and Turkey also met in qualifying for EURO 2016; Czech Republic finished top of Group A while Turkey qualified as the best third placed team.
- There have been 31 goals in the last nine games between these two nations, with at least two goals being scored in each of those nine fixtures.
- The Czech Republic have scored in 12 of their last 13 group games at the European Championships.
- Czech striker Tomas Necid has scored twice as many goals as a substitute (8) than as a starter (4) for the national team.
- Tomas Rosicky has only scored two goals and delivered one assist in 13 games at major tournaments with the Czech Republic.
- Turkey have suffered defeat in each of their last three games at the EURO, their worst run in the competition since losing their first four games in the competition between 1996 and 2000.
- Turkey have had a player booked in each of their last 17 games at major tournaments, last avoiding a booking against Italy at Euro 2000.
- Turkey haven’t kept a clean sheet at the Euros since a 2-0 win over Belgium at Euro 2000 – they’ve conceded 15 goals in eight games since then.
- Against Spain, Turkey failed to have a shot on target in a major tournament game for the first time since Euro 1996 against Croatia.